Tessa Lee: Technical Artist

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Global Game Jam 2014: Lost In Thought

This year I thought I'd try something different as a third year veteran. I conned my boyfriend to join me as a 2-person team rather than the 8 or 9 person team that I did in previous years. I've got to say, we're both quite pleased with how our game turned out.



We playfully named our temporary team Bad Wolf Studios because we're both Doctor Who nerds (as far as the new serials are concerned, Rose is still our favorite companion).

This year, the theme was a quote that said, "We do not see them as they are, we see them as we are." It's very cryptic to say the least. My boyfriend, Dr. John Watkins, was my concept and idea guy. I let him design the game's story and core concept. He'd come up with something, and I'd let him know if it was feasible for me within the 48 hours. Our premise was that the player had to navigate a maze to the center vortex, but the maze itself would be visible or invisible depending on the variables controllable by the player and their opponent.



Anyway, here is our game description from the GGJ website itself:

     Navigate your thought through the neurons to bring yourself into existance as a true thought. As a primary thought, you can see primary neurons (blocks in the prototype). Your Opponent is also a primary thought that can see primary neurons. Together, you can see secondary neurons. Controls: WASD or Arrow Keys to move your thought. 1, 2, and 3 to change your primary color. R to Restart Game.

If you're interested in playing the game or viewing the source files, you can do so here.